Re: please put not all into multiarch!

On 2012-10-21 13:00:00 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> What I do not understand: Why does skype want to install lots of new 32-bit
> libs, when the package (and this is the 32-bit one) already can use either
> ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk (which are also used by other applications).

Are you sure that it can (now and in the future), for *all* versions
of the libs?

> I suggest this solution: Packages should be built in that way, that they can
> use either ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk or the libs from multiarch:i386.

If I understand correctly, one of the goals of multiarch is to replace
packages like ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk, i.e. these packages will
disappear in the future. So, the only correct solution is to depend
on i386 packages.

> If that is working, then step by step ia32-libs may be made thinned
> out from double libs, until ia32-libs are no more necessary at all.
> At that point the package ia32-libs can be deleted.

I think that this won't work due to possibly different library
versions in ia32-libs and in i386, or you may get obscure crashes.