Re: please put not all into multiarch!

On Saturday 20 October 2012 16:12:59 Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Hans, the state of multiarch, post-Wheezy, is that it is not ready for
> > use.  As you have found, it is not compatible with everything, or
> > perhaps it should be put the other way: Not everything may be compatible
> > with it.  People are advised to be patient about updating/upgrading,
> > especially when running non-Debian software.  In the fullness of time,
> > it will all Just Work (tm).  Allegedly.
>
> Mark, I know, that this multiarch is still on the way to working, However,
> I see great power in it. But at the moment, I think, it is no good idea, to
> put essential packages into multiarch. Instead they should put those
> packages step-by-step into it. My mail aimed to show, what problems appear
> at the moment. So others (and first of all the developers) can see, what
> trouble appears.

No, you cannot assume that the developers read the list.  Many of them don't.
This is the _users_ list.

> Chris: There is no need, to file a bugreport, as a) it is wanted, to split
> 64- bit and 32-bit of nvidia packages and b) it is already recognized in
> the list what problems appear.

 Yes, but the list is the wrong place to report it.  If you want the
developers to take any notice, you have to file a bug report.  A bug report
can, I believe, be a request for something that is not there.  You can
complain all you like, the users can't do anything.  And the fact that you
think something is obviously needed, does not mean that the developers will
necessarily agree with you.

Lisi