gnus MUA

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:07:25PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
I wrote on Oct 18th?
> > If you know, and enjoy LISP then configuring it will be an enjoyable
> > experience."?
>
> No need for any elisp.  All configuration can be done via menus.

Interesting.

> > A newcomer to Linux who is advised to use Gnus, should at least be
> > warned that they will be installing emacs.
>
> Installing Thunderbird pulls in libraries that are larger than Emacs.

Luckily, I already knew that thunderbird is called icedove in Debian.

root@tal:~# apt-get install icedove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
[...]
Need to get 18.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 37.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.

BUT not so lucky with gnus ...

root@tal:~# apt-get install gnus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package gnus is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'gnus' has no installation candidate

root@tal:~# apt-cache search gnus | grep reader
dictionaryreader.app - Dict client for GNUstep
grr.app - RSS reader for GNUstep
lusernet.app - News reader for GNUstep
root@tal:~# apt-cache search gnus | grep mua
root@tal:~# apt-cache search gnus | grep mail
x-pgp-sig-el - X-PGP-Sig mail and news header utility for Emacs
fetchmail - SSL enabled POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/forwarder
gnumail.app - Mail client for GNUstep
gnumail.app-dbg - Mail client for GNUstep (debugging symbols)
mailcrypt - Emacs interface to GPG and PGP
mboxgrep - Grep through mailboxes
libpantomime1.2 - GNUstep framework for mail handling (runtime library)
libpantomime1.2-dev - GNUstep framework for mail handling (development
files)
root@tal:~# apt-cache search gnus | grep news
x-pgp-sig-el - X-PGP-Sig mail and news header utility for Emacs

After much messing around:

root@tal:~# apt-cache show emacs23
[...]
Provides: editor, emacs23-gtk, emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader

So its builtin?
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#toc1
"Gnus 5.7 has been included in Emacs 20.5 through 20.7, and Emacs 21.1
will contain Gnus 5.9."

Excellent.!! So if you are going to install emacs23, you get Gnus for
free. It would be a waste not to use it.

BUT ...

root@tal:~# apt-get install emacs23
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
[...]
Need to get 26.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 84.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Compared to icedove it requires 69% more download and uses 43.7% more
diskspace.

I'm not running any desktop, just basic xorg and fvwm, and yet icedove
doesn't pull in extra libraries.

Just as (since I last looked) gnus is now included within emacs, icedove
has been "cleaned up" since you last looked?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X