Problem accessing via USENET was - [Re: Various modethods accesing debian-user list]

{ BCC to fine folks of lists_bofh_it who may wish to comment }

Richard Owlett wrote:
I am subscribed to debian-user@lists.debian.org in the
normal fashion. Last weekend, for an unknown/unknowable
reason, mail from all lists from lists.debian.org was
interrupted. Also I was unable to connect to the archive
page. Whatever the problem was, it is apparently resolved.

That got me looking for alternatives in case it recurs.
I found reference to USENET access via linux.debian.user and
was reminded of the digest alternative subscription.

I have 2 questions.
1. Is the link between the USENET newsgroup completely
bidirectional with the mailing list?
     I'm posting this via USENET as a partial test for that.

Well, I *tried* to do so. My USENET access is via
news.supernews.com . It carriers a group listed as
linux.debian. I received a bounce message whose implications
I did not understand. I'll start a sub-thread to discuss
clarifying some information given on
http://www.debian.org/support#usenet .

[SNIP my 2nd question]

I think the first sentence under "Usenet newsgroups", { "A lot of our mailing lists can be browsed as newsgroups, in the linux.debian.* hierarchy. "}, needs clarification. I received a message from a "Moderation Robot" saying that the group I attempted to access was a moderated group. The subscription form seemed to indicate that to post I would end up having to set up my newsreader to access an additional newsserver just to access a single group. Their FAQ page did not clarify the issue for me.

Just how confused am I?

TIA