Re: What is playing videos in web browsers?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:20:20 +0200, lee wrote:

>>> And that isn't a good situation.
>>
>> Sadly, we can't be sure on what the future will provide, so worrying
>> know is useless and wasteful. The only we can do is having a "Plan B",
>> that's all.
>
> Like I said, nothing to worry about.  Do you have a plan B?

Yes, of course; the same approach that I've used for DMCA-friendly
services: avoiding those that require from me a component which is not
available for my system and looking for an alternative/different service.

>>> I don't have it installed anymore and I can't find one of these sites
>>> atm.
>>
>> Fine, then problem solved :-)
>
> No, it's not solved because I can't play or download videos on these
> sites anymore.

Then install Adobe Flash Player and problem solved.

>> The source code of the URL has/points to none "swf" file so whataver
>> problem you face with it in seems unrelated to the Flash Player plugin.
>
> I'd have to install it again and check.

I do have it installed and the site loads nothing but a black square.

>> Better that you first start saying what you have tested and in what way
>> it failed for you, don't you think?
>
> I removed the flashplayer library from adobe and now the only videos I
> can watch on websites are those on youtube.

Then reinstall it. There's no other 1:1 alternative for this.

> Other plugins (gnash, vlc, gecko) didn't fix that.

Even more, these plugins only work (when they do) for videos but not for
interactive animations.

>> But again, as I already said, my only recommendation for dealing with
>> flash based websites is using the crappy Flash Player plugin from Adobe
>> until it completely dissapears from the face of the Earth (hope this
>> happens soon...).
>
> That means you don't have a solution, either.

Oh, yes. I use Adobe Flash Player that works fine with flash player based
sites.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón