Re: What is playing videos in web browsers?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:42:57 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:09:43 +0200, lee wrote:
>>
>> interactive applications. Anyway, what trouble are you having with
>> Adobe Flash Player?
>
> Besides that I hate it, if you use it, you don't have key bindings like
> you do in mplayer.  It probably doesn't use VDPAU, either.

I neither like it, but Adobe Flash Player is the only 1:1 replacement for
Adobe Flash Player, we like it or no :-(

> There might be the problem that, in a while, you can't play videos with
> it anymore since Adobe says there aren't going to be any further
> releases.  I don't know what their plans are, perhaps it just becomes
> obsolete and what's built into the web browsers replaces it.

Adobe will continue the maintenance of the Linux packages but no new
releases which means only security patches will be delivered. If you ask
me, I prefer this way: on every Flash Player update there's a high chance
for something that was working it simply breaks so Adobe decision is fine
with me.

OTOH, html5 is now at the corner, my hope is that Flash Player for the
web dies in a very near future...

>>> It's no more than a video which mplayer can play once you can download
>>> it, so what's the problem?
>>
>> None, what problem are you having? Do you have any flash player
>> installed and it fails?
>
> I installed gnash and it doesn't play flash.

(...)

I mean what problem you had with Adobe Flash Player. The rest of the
flash player implementations fail in a way or another.

> So how do I make it so that seamonkey uses mplayer to play all videos?
> You seem to think there's no problem with that.

Yes, because there's no problem with that unless you explicety mention
one. There are (or "there were", I hope they are still there!) plugins to
view flash videos from Mozilla browsers using mplayer -or another video
player- as backend.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón