Re: Display hurtful on LCD screen with Wheezy

Lionel Trésaugues <lionel.tresaugues@gmail.com> writes:

> My eyes start to suffer and soon, I can feel that an headache is coming.
>
> I don't have this feeling at all when I am running either Ubuntu or
> any Ubuntu-based distribution (Mint XFCE or Cinnamon edition).
>
> I tried to adjust the fonts using all the different combinations
> available with dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config as well as playing
> with the hinting and smoothing settings of the fonts without any
> improvements.

Do the fonts look different in Debian?  If so, in which way?  If they
do, you could try to find out how they are rendered and try to have them
rendered the same in Debian.

You can try the following in ~/.fonts.conf.d --- I wasn't happy with how
the fonts were rendered and I like them better with these settings:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<match target="font">
  <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
    <bool>false</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
  <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
    <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
    <const>lcddefault</const>
  </edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
  <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
    <bool>false</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
  <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
    <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
</match>

<match target="font">
  <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
    <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
</match>

There's good documentation on [1] you might want to look into.  You'll
have to play around with the settings to find what's best for you.

BTW, how about infinality[2] in Debian?  Has anyone tried that?

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration
[2]: http://www.infinality.net/blog/infinality-freetype-patches/

--
Debian testing amd64