Re: Installation

On Thu, September 13, 2012 12:04 pm, lee wrote:
> "Weaver" <weaver@riseup.net> writes:

>>> How big? IMVHO a separate /home partition[1] makes sense now[2] only if
>>> one can make reasonable guesses about future use. I got it wrong
>>> several
>>> times and so have many others.
>>
>> That depends on the size of the drive.
>>
>> I make a / partition, a swap that is twice the size of RAM - on this
>> box,
>> 4 GB, and the rest is just assigned to home.
>>
>> That way the drive size is the only limiting factor.
>>
>> If you find, in time, that you are running out of drive space, instaal a
>> bigger drive, install the / and swap and again, allocate the rest as
>> /home
>> and copy it over.
>>
>> By that time, this would be a good project for the not-so-newbie.
>> Regards,
>
> What do you do, or what is the installer supposed to do, when you have
> several disks?  Make a RAID-0 out of them and do as you describe?  Make
> a RAID-1 or RAID-10 or RAID-5?  Only use one disk?  Put / and everything
> else on one disk and use the other(s) (one) for /home?
>
> I can see you saying that your clueless user doesn't have more than one
> disk.

In the majority of cases, they won't, having bought an OEM installed box,
where the manufacturer has kept the price down with a minimum of hardware.

  What about the clueless user who scraped together their computer
> over time from old or cheap parts they were able to acquire, so they
> have a couple of old SCSI and IDE disks between 16, 36 and 100GB in
> size.  They've got an OS they want to keep on the 100GB IDE disk, which
> is partitioned (someone else did it and they don't know how to change
> that), some data on the others, all partitions between 60--90% full with
> non-removable stuff, and now they want to try out Debian.  They are in
> the installer and expect it to install without partitioning
> manually. What's the installer supposed to do or to offer them?

Why do you create scenarios that are overly complex?
There are many questions in this world.
Regards,

Weaver
--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine