Re: Installation

On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 16:12 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:05:48 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Even if you install all codecs that are available for Linux, you are not
> > able to join every video from the Internet.
> > Consumers need more codecs than are available for Linux. The "rarely" is
> > relatively.
>
> I have no idea what you're watching and listening to, but how often
> does a user actually run into multimedia for which there's no linux
> codec?

I produce and listen to music and films where I don't need to care that
much about codecs, I'm talking about experiences other people made.
However, I noticed myself, that some containers can't be played or a
browser does play those containers one time and then you have to reboot.
The videos I like to watch, that I can't watch, are usually YouTube
music videos, that are taken out by the GEMA mafia. GEMA is the German
collecting society for music. But that's another issue.
OTOH the reason for the codec disaster is that some companies, mafias,
simply are greedy.

YMMV,
Ralf