Re: Installation

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:59:50 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Samstag, 8. September 2012 schrieb Camaleón:

(...)

>> Linux is more like an intense mental activity that requires from your
>> attention (and high doses of patience and interest) and not all the
>> people is ready/looking for that.
>
> Well I do see more and more that there are really cool applications for
> Linux.

I also do see them. But I'm afraid neither you nor me are the user
prototype we are pointing to in this thread.

> But sure, someone who doesn´t want to try anything with a different name
> and GUI than the stuff he is used too, but not be easy to convince.

Exactly, and that's the kind of person who is very difficult to bring
closer to linux.

> Just as I don´t give a sh* about Adobe software except for flash where
> its still needed to play web videos.

Then you're a corner case.

> I quite much agree to the installation stuff.
>
> I put Linux on the laptop I bought with my father for my father. He used
> Firefox and Thunderbird and some crappy photo management software.
>
> I put KDE on it plus Iceweasel, Icedove and Digikam as applications. And
> each a button for internet on and off (this Debian Lenny installation is
> using HFC USB based ISDN adapter for accessing the net, thats why I am
> reluctant to upgrade to Squeeze or Wheezy, cause I have the gut feeling
> that ISDN on Squeeze or Wheezy is quite some fiddling again.)
>
> Well that just works.

(...)

And you know why that works? Because "you" wanted it worked, not your
father. Now imagine your father has to do all the job by his own, do you
still think he is going to maintain his current setup? I really doubt it.

Now imagine a different scenario. Your father buys a computer with a
Linux distribution on it which is already preconfigured. At a first
glance it seems to be a good idea:  the computer is cheaper because
there's no OS licence that needs to be tributed and the guy of the shop
instructs your father about the advandatges of the Linux systems -less
viruses and malwares, rock-solid...).

Back to home, your uncle sends a "beautiful" PowerPoint file by e-mail to
your father and despite LibreOffice can open the file with no problem
your father ears no sound. And here is where the real linux hist[eo]ry
starts... at this point, unless your father either a) shows a real
interest in solving the problem by himself or b) you or someone else is
near to solve the problem, 99% of the time your fictional father will
simply jump to Windows.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón