Re: Query about failure of Debian 6 64 bit to swap properly

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:23:47 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

(...)

> So, my query is this; is the inability of 64 bit Debian 6, to swap
> properly, instead using increasing amounts of RAM until it runs out of
> RAM, then crashing, while having 40GB of unused swap partition allocated
> and "swappiness" set to 70, due to the inability of the file manager to
> cope with filesize greater than 1GB?

I think you are talking about two problems here. Let's see...

First, it seems that you have some sort of problems with your swap but,
what are those problems exactly?

Some hints:

- With 8 GiB of RAM you can (almost) safely turn off your swap at all, it
shouldn't be used. You can indeed run this test (→ turn off swap) to see
how your system behaves.

- The kernel will use all of the system resources which are available and
that includes /swap.

Second, you say you can't delete big files (>1 GiB of size) because your
system becomes unmanageable and runs out of memory. This is of course not
normal (even a system with as little as 256 MiB of RAM shouldn't
experience this problem at all).

Some hints:

- How are you deleting the files? You can try with a GUI based
application (e.g., nautillus) and then compare the results using the
command line (rm my_big_file).

- Are you getting any entry for the OOM error at the logs (/var/log/
syslog)?

> I do hope that Debian 7 implements memory paging, or swapping.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón