Re: Logging ISP Download Speed.

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:52:59 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>
>> What's the best programme to employ with regard to logging traffic speed
>> from my ISP?
>
> Well, there are online tests that you can run to measure your (up/down)
> link speed:
>
> http://www.speedtest.net/
> http://www.ookla.com/demo-custom.php
>
>> I want to log and then print out, so I can then forward the information
>> with an ultimatum.
>
> He, he... welcome to the club and good luck with your documented
> complaint. At least here in Spain, ISPs do what they want and users are
> only a PITA that pays a monthy bill but has little rights :-P
>
>> I can't fail in a contract if they have, repeatedly, first. It's been
>> going on for a year and I'm sick of being ripped off and having my
>> intelligence insulted by entities that haven't out-grown their acne,
>> that know no more of the situation than quoting their prepared lines
>> from help-desk school at me.
>
> You can also find more useful about your connection quality and other
> technical measures from your DSL router itself. Depending on the model
> you'll can find a precise activity log that will tell you the speed your
> line is synced with the central telephone exchange and also when DSL
> status is going down/up or about PPPoE errors.

Just to clarify on this situation:

I have a cable connection that is rated at 100MB/s at full capacity.
I specifically asked what the lowest speed would be, that I could expect
to experience, when I took it on from an ADSL2+ connection that I tracked
at 8 BYTES/s at one stage, and they said 100Kb/s (really!).

I regularly log 40-47Kb/s on updates..
Cheers,

Weaver.

--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
 system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,