Touchpad (laptop) stopped working

Greetings list ,
I have a week or so old Debian 6.0.5 installed.
The mousepad (touchpad)  is not working, both in case of moving
the cursor, or using left/right click with the nearby buttons.
and not matter what I try, it is not showing any good signs.

I did try to rmmmod / modprobe psmouse ,no go.

I followed the wiki :
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad , but , no go.

I went the /etc/X11/xorg.conf way , and also the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d./synaptics.conf way, no go.

Here's some output :

egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps' /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        6.0.5

uname -r
2.6.32-5-amd64

The touchpad settings are present under system > preferences > mouse, and it
looks like the system is quite happy and does not know anything
about the fact that something's wrong with the touchpad.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Guy

--
Quick and simple Linux solutions Blog - http://www.at4me.com