Re: No-Script for backports iceweasel?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:18:06 -0700, Steven Sciame wrote:

> Hello,

Hello but please, no html posts, thanks :-)

> I am using Squeeze and recently upgraded from iceweasel 3.5 to the
> release version from Debian Mozilla Backports.  During the process,
> Iceweasel informed me that the versions of Greasemonkey and No-Script
> that I was using (xul-ext-greasemonkey and xul-ext-noscript from
> stable/squeeze) are not compatible with the backports version of
> Iceweasel.

Yes, that's a common complaint from Firefox/Iceweasel users, that
upgrading to newer versions can easily break the current addons and you
have to manually check for updated versions of the addons which are
compatible with the new version of the browser.

> I have two questions:
>
> 1)  Is there a version of these packages (xul-ext-greasemonkey and
> xul-ext-noscript) maintained by Debian that is compatible?  I could not
> find them in backports and just to make sure and apt-get install -t
> squeeze-backports xul-ext-greasemonkey didn't yield any results.  I
> Googled around and was surprised that nobody else seemed to post
> something about this.

You can use (or at least try) the upstream addons, they don't need to be
under Debian repository, there should be no compatibility problem.

Another possibility could be getting the addon from testing or sid.

> 2)  If these aren't available, is it best to just go to Firefox
> extensions and find Greasemonkey and No-script there?  I wanted to make
> sure that there was not an official or backported Debian package for
> these before I went and installed them from outside sources.

Yes, I'd go for this. And should you experience any problem, just ask in
the backports mailing list and request for a "backported" version ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón