Re: Off topic Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:59:24 -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:58:55PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Developer's choices can be changed when enough people think they're
>> wrong or simply badly put. That's when you can open a "wishlist" bug
>> report to politely ask for a review of the default settings.
>
> OpenSource Development isn't a democracy.

That's not the user business. I, as a user, have the moral requirement of
telling developers what I think they are doing wrong, expressing my POV
(which, by the way, that's what I do when I find a bug or error in a
program and that's why normal bug reports and wishlist bug report are
for).

If more users do feel the same and append their comments in the report,
it can make a decission to be reviewed or even modified because it is
plain silly to don't hear what your users (not "one" or "two" but
"hundreds") are requesting because you will expose to lose them.

FLOSS projects have to be two-way communication path (in both
directions), if this fails and users are only treated (or feel) as guinea
pigs they will, of course, move to a different project that cares about
them.

> BTW This change isn't going to be reverted. It's the way pros work in
> the Graphics Industry when they're using layering and alpha channels.
> They need a way to save non-destructively and with all content.

That this is finally changed or not it does not matter. Users have a
responsability in telling what are their feelings about a default change.
If I were a developer I'd like to get feedback from my users, programming
for the sake of programming has to be a very boring task.

> If people don't like the way GIMP is working in 2.8 then they most
> likely aren't the target audience that the GIMP developers are aiming
> for. It's not like there aren't lots of simple editors about, so choose
> one that fits the work-flow you wish to use.

Yes, I've been told that Photoshop is very good for this job and also
comes for "free" (as in beer). Hope you get the irony ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón