Re: tsclient

On 08/13/2012 04:19 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 08:23 -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
>> On 08/13/2012 04:19 AM, lina wrote:
>> <snip>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you. I failed to find this bug report.
>>>
>>> Now I switched to the remina, it's quite good.

>>> Thanks with best regards,
>>>

>> I have used remmina for some time on Wheezy / Xfce but have periodically
>> run into client session crashes when using it for admin chores on
>> Windows domains. The application also has some minor general interface
>> usability issues under Xfce (4.8) when using all but 3 or 4 of the
>> available appearance themes, but I suspect those glitches may not occur
>> under Gnome.
>>
>> If you should run into these or other problems with remmina, you might
>> consider using rdesktop from the repositories. This is a much simpler
>> remote desktop client used from within a terminal emulator and is rock
>> solid. It may have issues with upstream maintenance. I remember that
>> some time ago it was temporarily removed from the testing repositories.
>> Not quite sure of its status in re to that now, but it is back in the
>> repositories.
>>
>> Just thought you should know of the alternative if you have problems
>> with remmina.
>>
>> Good fortune to you!
>> the worrier
>>

> Is rdesktop still using RDP5? We had previously gone to xfreerdp as it
> supported RDP6 and the performance difference on a WAN/Internet
> connection was stunningly better.  We had heard Remmina was using
> xfreerdp but, when we tried it, it was not only highly unstable but the
> performance was clearly that of RDP5.  That was many months ago and I do
> not know what has changed since - John

I'm afraid rdesktop is still stuck at RDP5, and I'm not sure it will
ever go beyond that. It might require an extensive re-write to
accomplish later RDP version support. It has had a spotty support
history for some time -- if I understand correctly.

However, rdesktop is so much superior in reliability and performance to
remmina that I use it most of the time in preference over the more
advanced package. My understanding is that, when advancements in freerdp
include the varied features of RDP 6 and 7, remmina will also have those
features. However, remmina will have to stop losing its client sessions
at inopportune times before I will use it on a regular basis.