Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 22:58:45 -0400, Lili-Anne Girard wrote:

(please, no html posts, thanks)

>> Do you really think that XFCE is tested in the same way that GNOME (and
>> Dothe same goes for Razor-QT and KDE, for instance)? I mean, there are
>> more Dothe GNOME/KDE users out there than XFCE/LXDE/Razor-QT and more
>> users means well probed software. To make a DE as a default for a
>> distribution wewithout being tested intensively can give a bad
>> impression to newcomers.
>

> There is as many (and more) Xfce users than any other desktop
> environment.

I really doubt it, because the majority of users who first start with
Debian usually get the default settings and options with no additional
tweaks and the default DE in Debian has been GNOME.

> This pool started on 2011-05-02 and stopped on February 2012:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63626
>
> Total votes : 299

(...)

> This one started on 2012-06-14:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80733
>
> Total votes : 113

(...)

Sorry, but that kind of surveys do not count as trusted source because
they can be easily "faked" (how are unique votes controlled?) and their
scope is very limited (for instance, I do not use the forums) ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón