Re: Dynamic DNS updater recomendation?

On 7/18/2012 3:00 PM, John W. Foster wrote:

> I am seeking assistance from someone who has a bit of actual experience
> in this arena. Any volunteers??

There are hundreds of dyndns providers.  Pick one that works with your
hardware.  You're currently approaching this issue backwards.

Do you have your own domain?  You didn't say.

I've had my vanity domain since 2002 and started with static IP DSL
service.  I moved in '05 and could only get dynamic IP DSL service.  I
obtained an account with TZO as my SMC SOHO router supported TZO.  I
used their DDNS service until 2009.  I've since moved again and switched
to static IP service, but I've kept my TZO account and simply use their
static DNS config.  Sure I could get cheaper static DNS hosting, but TZO
has worked so well, and is cheap enough, that I stick with it.  At some
point I may be back on dynamic IP service, and all I'll have to do it
click a couple buttons in the TZO control panel to switch over again.

In 7 years I've had zero problems with their service.  It costs me $0.16
USD per day--16 cents a day.  It's been worth every penny.  Most
consumer routers sold today have inbuilt support for TZO.  TZO requires
that you have your own domain, easily obtained for $5/year.  You must
configure your domain at your registrar control panel, telling it the
names of the TZO name servers, and configure the router to use TZO.
That's it.  Very simple.

And you don't have to worry about potential problems with your free
dyndns provider, who can at any moment shut down the service with no
prior warning, or start selling your traffic information to third
parties, go commercial and start charging a fee, etc.  The service is
completely run by a single human, Joshua Anderson.  What if he gets hit
by a bus tomorrow?

My advice?  Go with an inexpensive commercial dyndns provider.  There's
TZO, the "Pro" or whatever they call it version of dyndns.org, and
others.  The most important thing, again, is to pick one that's
supported by your router.

--
Stan