Re: Do ATI HD cards have good working drivers for Linux (Debian Squeeze in particular)

On 12/07/12 06:41 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Jo, 12 iul 12, 09:04:48, Gary Dale wrote:
On 12/07/12 04:58 AM, Ivo Ugrina wrote:
I've bought ATI 6750 a few months ago
and I'm not satisfied with FLOSS driver.
I can't suspend anymore. The card simply
won't shut down.
Did you file a bug report for it?

I've found the Debian package maintainers to be quite eager to work
with people to resolve issues relating to their packages. They don't
have easy access to all the possible hardware variations so they
need bug reports to alert them to problems.
Err, since they don't have the source code there is not much they can do
about it.

Kind regards,
Andrei
You said you were using the open source driver.

If you are using the proprietary driver, you would have to file a bug report with AMD. This may or may not be responded to.

I was having a problem with my new HD 6450 card that the package maintainer helped me with very quickly. A couple of e-mails and it was humming along.

As an FYI for anyone using video cards, it seems the latest thing is move some of the code to the kernel, removing it from the xorg-server-video driver. This means that I needed a kernel module in addition to the xorg driver. Once installed and loaded, the video worked great. This is probably only an issue when you change video cards and the correct module doesn't get loaded.