Re: Panning the screen to get an usable GNOME desktop in netbooks

05.05.2012 14:55, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> In my intent to make my netbook more usable (because I can barely
> use some applications such the recently available Pan), I'm trying
> to get a virtual screen (panning) that allows me to configure some
> applications that fail to display the usual bottom buttons (Cancel,
> Apply, Accept...).
>
> So to get the extra space, I run:
>
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --fb 1024x768 --panning
> 1024x768
>
> Which returns nothing (meaning a success command) and I can see the
>  display has been somehow "cutted" at the bottom but I can't move
> the mouse cursor beyond the bottom edge so the controlable area is
> still 1024x600.
>
> I tried to make the window of a smaller height but I only could
> adjust its width which was of no help in this case.
>
> I finally had to remotely connect from another system with bigger
> screen to configure the Pan settings from there but that's of
> course a bypass not a solution at all, n[eo]books are aimed to be
> standalone devices :-)
>
> I know this is a well-known problem for these kind of small devices
> but I would like to find a solution or at least a suitable bypass
> that does not require a secondary system.
>
> The computer runs Wheezy with GNOME and gnome-shell and the nebook
> screen is 10.1" with a 1024x600 resolution. It uses an Intel
> chipset (N10) as VGA.
>
> Greetings,

 I used to have this same problem when my netbook ran Ubuntu*. I
enabled monitor indicator or icon from screen settings and rotated the
screen with it always when the bottom buttons went out of screen, but
this isn't very good way to do it.

*Nowadays it runs Linux Mint Debian Edition which has been "aptitude
full-upgraded" as Sid and I don't use any programs, which are too big.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A  AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728

Please don't toppost, if possible
https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser#What_is_top-posting_.28and_why_shouldn.27t_I_do_it.29.3F

Please don't send HTML, if possible. It's possible with most of
clients, even with webmails, see: