Re: fsck forced when using /sbin/shutdown

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:54:31 +0200, Steven Post wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 15:09 +0000, Camaleón wrote: [...]
>>
>> "/dev/sdc1" is the partition with data inconsistency, what we have to
>> find out is why it's left in such state. Another possibility, should
>> you have the chance, could be backup the full partition, reformat it
>> and start over. Being just your /home this won't present any
>> difficulty.
>
> Apart from the fact that I need someway to backup the data :) While not
> crucial data, I'd rather keep it. It's just a bit too big to add to my
> current backup system.

Okay then :-)

>> > Is is perhaps possible that Gnome is writing out some config files in
>> > my home directory during shutdown and the system cuts power
>> > prematurely? I also noticed a message saying the device from / is
>> > busy during the shutdown sequence, but never /home, while the root
>> > filesystem doesn't need the check.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Yes, that was indeed the aim of my "dumb" suggestion :-)
>
> Well, any suggestion is welcome.
>
> I did some tests and it doesn't look like it's Gnome itself, at least
> not right after booting.
>
> First test:
> 1) boot
> 2) log in using a tty instead of gdm (Ctrl + Alt + F1)
> 3) issue the "sudo /sbin/shutdown -h +1" command result: no fsck needed
>
> Second test:
> 1) boot
> 2) log in using gdm3 and starting a regular Gnome session
> 3) switch to tty1, login there
> 4) issue the "sudo /sbin/shutdown -h +1" command result: no fsck needed
>
> Third test:
> I changed the +1 to +2, so as to give the previous command in the script
> enough time (which is a "killall java"). After normal operation, the
> command is issued, but this time a fsck was needed again.

Mmm... what worries me is why an fsck is even needed just because a non-
vital application is not being closed gracefully on shutdown, that's not
something I would consider worth for a fsck >:-?

Steven, have you considered a hardware related problem? Just in case,
running "smartctl" over the disk that holds the partition won't hurt.

> I'm thinking about it, there are only 2 applications running right
> before that command gets executed.
> - Vuze
> - pgl-gui (peerguardian for Linux)
>
> The complete script actually looks like this:
> vlc -f play
> killall java
> sudo /sbin/shutdown -h +2
>
> vlc is started full screen with playlist file "play", the last item in
> the playlist tells vlc to exit. Then "killall java" is executed to tell
> vuze to terminate (failing to do so results in vuze complaining about
> suddenly being stopped, due to the shutdown procedure). That is also the
> reason for the 1 minute delay, so as to give Vuze enough time to
> properly terminate. I had no problems with this before the reinstall.

When you shutdown the system all of the opened applications and those in
memory should be automatically closed but yet again, IMO a fsck is too
much for an application that was not closed properly.

> I'll remember to stop pgl-gui today, if that doesn't fix it, I'm out of
> ideas.

Well, to discard any of these applications as the source of the problem,
you can manually run the commands of the script, one by one and before
you issue the shutdown run ps to check whether there's any instance of
that applications running in the background and if so, kill them and then
proceed with the shutdown.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón