Re: fsck forced when using /sbin/shutdown

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 17:31 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:19:09 +0200, Steven Post wrote:
>
> > I have this really annoying problem when I shutdown the machine using
> > sudo /sbin/shutdown -h +1
> > The machine seems to properly shutdown, but I always (at least I think)
> > get the message that a filesystem contains errors and needs to be
> > checked. When I use the shutdown option in Gnome, the system boots fine
> > without the fsck.
>
> And is it true that there were errors? What does the "fsck" log say?

I found no further clue in /var/log/fsck/checkfs, here is the complete
output:
#######
Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
Thu Apr 19 20:21:12 2012

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/dev/sde1: clean, 241/61056 files, 13476/243968 blocks
/dev/sdc1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
/dev/sdc1: 398799/38772736 files (3.9% non-contiguous),
112892386/155062264 blocks
/dev/mapper/mydatavolumegroup-mydatalv: clean, 285499/183148544 files,
723935104/732567552 blocks (check in 2 mounts)
fsck died with exit status 1
#####

I can see the fsck making progress and after it reaches 100% the system
just continues to boot.

sde1 in this case is /boot on the SSD, sdc1 is /home on the HDD. The lvm
volume I hadn't mentioned are different hard drives, those don't cause
any problems and were present in the same configuration on the previous
install.

> I wonder what difference can be in shutting down from GNOME and doing it
> from the command line, mmm... >:-?

Is is perhaps possible that Gnome is writing out some config files in my
home directory during shutdown and the system cuts power prematurely? I
also noticed a message saying the device from / is busy during the
shutdown sequence, but never /home, while the root filesystem doesn't
need the check.

[...]
> > Any ideas?
>
> One dumb idea, yup.
>
> Before you shutdown the system from command line, logout from your
> current GNOME session, go to a tty and then run the shutdown sequence
> from there. Is the "fsck" still coming up when you boot?

I'll try that this evening, thanks for the suggestion.

Kind regards,
Steven