Re: Is there a system sync tool?

On 19/04/2012 18:10, Indulekha wrote:
Magicloud Magiclouds<magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi,
   I have a PC at work, and a PC at home. And I am really tired to
build the same environment at home every time I changed something at
work.
   So just wonder if you guys have some idea to help. For example, when
I updates something (configuration, packages, etc), the tool would
somehow record the change (through internet or on a usb drive). So I
could just re-do the change at home.

I use rsync for exactly that.
Have a look at man rsync.

Unison could do that, it's doing rsync's job but in a bi-directional or "star" configuration. I use it to keep laptops in sync with a "master" (rsync could do this part) computer, but also retrieve files added to the laptops during the day. It's easy to write different profiles (i.e. "system_sync", "home_sync", ...etc) or configuration files to tailor it to your needs.

Otherwise you could use a "file alteration monitor" program (you'll find several in the repo) and write a script to have it call "cp" to a usb flash drive on those modified files. Even "find" could do that easily.

HIH