Re: big problem with TP-LINK WiFi card

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 02:41:03 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Is this kernel likely to have taken into account the bug that concerns
>>> my PCI wireless card ?
>>>

>> Can't confirm on this, this is "test & try".
>>

> As for the right way to connect to Squeeze-backports, you were entirely
> right. As soon as I called the proper apt-get install command, the
> install of kernel 3.2.0 did start and proceeded successfully to the end.
> Well, it wasn't bootable right away. Indeed, when upgrading from Lenny
> to Squeeze, I had choosen to remain with GRUB 1, and, on my
> /boot/grub/menu.lst, the lines related to the newly installed 3.2.0
> kernel did not have anything about 'initrd'. I had to manually add the
> expected line, and then, after that, the new kernel did boot all right.
>
> So far, everything seems to work all right with this new kernel... but I
> haven't tested everything yet...

Good!

> HOWEVER, as far as my TP-LINK pci wireless card is concerned, THIS IS
> EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS BEFORE !  Connexion is quick and strong, but
> it only lasts anytime from 30 seconds to one and a half minute, after
> what the system freezes and the only way to get out is to disconnect
> mains power !

Then you can open a bug report for that, including the full logs as well
as what package versions are you using (wireless-tools and the firmware
file for the card, if any).

> I can see that newer 3.2.x kernels are available to compile and install
> from scatch. But how shall I know which one - if any - has taken into
> account and corrected the bug that concerns wireless connexions with my
> TP-LINK pci card ?

You don't know, you try and test :-)

> As for the Squeeze distro with newer kernels that one can boot from a
> CD, where - at what url - should I download the iso image to burn ?

Not Squeeze, but another distribution of your choice that includes an
updated kernel... maybe aptosid, Fedora, openSUSE?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón