Re: big problem with TP-LINK WiFi card

Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:37:27 +0100, Bernard wrote:

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:33:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:
[stuff deleted]
If I were to upgrade kernels, which kernel would you recommend ?

I'd go for the 3.x branch.

Is this kernel likely to have taken into account the bug that concerns
my PCI wireless card ?

Can't confirm on this, this is "test & try".
As for the right way to connect to Squeeze-backports, you were entirely right. As soon as I called the proper apt-get install command, the install of kernel 3.2.0 did start and proceeded successfully to the end. Well, it wasn't bootable right away. Indeed, when upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze, I had choosen to remain with GRUB 1, and, on my /boot/grub/menu.lst, the lines related to the newly installed 3.2.0 kernel did not have anything about 'initrd'. I had to manually add the expected line, and then, after that, the new kernel did boot all right.

So far, everything seems to work all right with this new kernel... but I haven't tested everything yet...

HOWEVER, as far as my TP-LINK pci wireless card is concerned, THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS BEFORE ! Connexion is quick and strong, but it only lasts anytime from 30 seconds to one and a half minute, after what the system freezes and the only way to get out is to disconnect mains power !

I can see that newer 3.2.x kernels are available to compile and install from scatch. But how shall I know which one - if any - has taken into account and corrected the bug that concerns wireless connexions with my TP-LINK pci card ? As for the Squeeze distro with newer kernels that one can boot from a CD, where - at what url - should I download the iso image to burn ?