Re: Need help dealing with the demise of qpopper

On 20120216_122003, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 15 feb 12, 18:17:11, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > Thanks but ...  What is dovecot? And which host is it to be installed?
>
> You asked for replacements to qpopper and this is what I suggested. See
> 'apt-cache show dovecot-pop3d' for more info.
>
> To make even more precise suggestions you need to provide more info
> about the "qpopper side". You mentioned that all you needed was to
> install it, which probably means it automagically picked up some
> existing mail storage on the same computer. Please provide more info
> about it and how new messages arrive there.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I am old, and was tired and
cranky.  Over night another suggestion has arrived which I tested
before writing this response. It works to my liking.

The messages that arrive at the host that had been running qpopper
have been generated by system software, e.g. aptitude, when something
needs to be reported to the owner/administrator* of the host. It does
not recieve mail from any other source. And if it did, I would like to
know of that because any email arriving there from an external source
would be evidence of a security problem. But, for now, it is not
reasonable that you waste your time understanding better the strange
workings of my mind. The apology is the important thing.

Best wishes, and thanks,
Paul

*It seems strange to think of myself as system administrator, but that
is what I must be in this situation, no matter how incompetent I am at
doing the work.