Re: Need help dealing with the demise of qpopper

On 20120216_015139, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 15 feb 12, 14:18:38, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Don't know about POP3, but for IMAP I just installed dovecot-imapd and
> it automatically picked up my ~/Maildir/
> I expect the same would happen with dovecot-pop3d (but I'm too lazy to
> test).
>
> Could you give more details, like where the e-mails are stored, etc. ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Thanks but ...  What is dovecot? And which host is it to be installed?
Is it an MUA? An MTA? I want to pick up on my main computer the emails
that were sent to root on my other Debian computers. I used fetchmail
to do that on my mail computer and qpupper to make the other computer
responsive to fetchmail's requests. How can I continue in that mode?

When I started with Debian, emails were stored on one's home
computer. They were temporarily held in transit on a computer at one's
ISP. That is still the way I operate. I want to keep some of my
emails. I use bogofilter to help delete spam after every email is
received onto my home computer. It once was thought of as a very
common way of doing email. I had not realized that it is so old that
it is almost forgotten.

The thing that makes this 'on topic' is that it is a problem brought
on by a change in the offerings of the Debian repositories. What
can be done to maintain a system that has worked for several years?

Kind regards,
Paul
--
Paul E Condon