Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:36:44 -0500, Tom H wrote:

>>> I knew your first post but I thought that you'd forgotten it...
>>
>> He, nice try!
>
> Believe it or not I did know that you'd said that earlier in the thread.
> i didn't remember that it was in the very first post.

Yes, on the very very very first post. I can easily forget what other's
say but not my own words :-)

>>> You're disagreeing with the GNOME developers installing Tracker by
>>> default (whatever the actual dependency chain is).
>>
>> No. What I disagree is installing a package that WAS NOT previously
>> installed because now is a hard dependency of a package that WAS
>> installed.
>
> So you're unhappy about dependencies changing!

Uh? Yes, of course. I don't like adding a pletora of packages just for
the shake of adding software. If I don't need a package I don't install
it, is that simple.

>>> It's their right and their choice; and, in their view, having Tracker
>>> by default in GNOME enhances their DE.
>>
>> Of course it's their right. It is also my right to remove the
>> metapackage to avoid that decision as well as is also my right to ask
>> for the reasons of such movement. It is also my right to express my
>> disagreement with that new hard requirement and all of that is what I
>> did. I hope you don't get upset nor annoyed by this, this is how the
>> community works, right?
>
> It's your right to object but you tend to persist in your protestations
> beyond what's strictly necessary. In package installation terms, I'd say
> that you exhaust the "depends", the "recommends", and the "suggests". :)

That's your personal point of view which I respect it. Now, would you
care to tell me what I should have done? Shut up and be "a good girl" to
don't disturb your minds? What a boring world, man. I like to contribute
with my opinions, as well as helping others in mailing lists or
participating as translator, reporting bugs... you know, the usual
stuff :-)

> In this particular case, you have two posters with d.o eddresses, at
> least one of whom is a member of the GNOME maintainers' team, explaining
> the reasons for this dependency.

Well, I don't think the reason was clearly exposed nor explained. This is
not an upstream requirement coming from the GNOME project but a package
that is installed when someone installs the GNOME extra components that
now are embedded within "gnome" metapackage because we have splitted the
metapackages in two: "gnome-core" and "gnome", while in the past there
was an additional one ("gnome-desktop-environment") whose packages are
now integrated between "gnome-core" and "gnome".

In brief, gnome-core is the natural option for those GNOME users that
what a basic GNOME desktop without all the available extras.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón