Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:52:25 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:
>>
>> Given this enormous amount of dependencies, I really don’t think you can
>> complain about tracker.
>
> More than a complaint, I'd like to know why there exists such as
> requirement "now". It was not just a few weeks ago.

This requirement comes from upstream. It landed in Fedora's
development release in August or September last year and there was a
thread on the "test" list about hogging resources and overheating
processors. The solution that someone proposed was to disable Tracker
through "gnome-session-properties". That same thread had a link to
another thread where developers were discussing possible changes to
make Tracker less hungry. So Fedora was following upstream and now
Debian is too. Good luck convincing upstream to change anything...