Re: How best to replace NetworkManager with wicd?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 03:06 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> From http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings
>>
>> <begin>
>> The ifupdown plugin also uses the
>> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf file (0.7 and 0.8.0) or
>> NetworkManager.conf (0.8.1 and later) for some configuration. All
>> ifupdown-specific options go in a "[ifupdown]" section. If the
>> "managed" key is set to "false", then any device listed in
>> /etc/network/interfaces will be completely ignored by NetworkManager.
>> Remember that NetworkManager controls the default route, so because
>> the device is hidden, NetworkManager will assign the default route to
>> some other device.
>> </end>
>
> Then I am stumped.  If I kill NM the interface is still up says iwconfig.
>  ifdown wlan1 takes it down and ifup brings it back up,
> and, NM is not running as shown by ps aux.  What the heck?

It's because NM isn't in control of your NIC, which is being brought
up in your script by "ifup wlan1" using "iface wlan1 inet dhcp; mod
probe rtl8187; wpa-ssid Verizon MiFi2200 C4B5 Secure; wpa-psk
your-password-goes-here" in "/etc/network/interfaces".