Re: How best to replace NetworkManager with wicd?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This statement

>>> What's incorrect?
>>
>>  My NetworkMansger.conf file does have "managed=false" and my interfaces
>> file
>> has only one interface listed and I am using it to send this message.
>> ifup/down works just as it should.
>>
>> I sent that information in my last post.  Wasn't it clear?
>
> No, it wasn't clear (to me).
>
> I was 100% of what I wrote when I wrote it and am now 99% sure. Since
> I was writing from memory, I'll have check the docs and find
> references to NM and ifup being managed/unmanaged.
>
> Maybe your NIC's being brought up by "/etc/init.d/networking" (since
> it's defined in "/etc/network/interfaces") and not by
> "/etc/init.d/network-manager". (Can "/etc/init.d/networking" and
> "/etc/init.d/network-manager" be enabled simultaneously by insserv?)

Scratch that last paragraph, because it's not relevant (although it'd
be interesting to know).

In the script that you posted earlier in this thread, you activate NM
but then bring up your NIC with "ifup", which is in accord with what
I've posted. So it's not NM that's bringing up your NIC if you have
"managed=false" in "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf".