Re: how are html pages printed?

On 20120213_191053, Camaleón wrote:
> El 2012-02-13 a las 11:46 -0600, Mark Copper escribió:
>
> (resending to the list)

> > > (...)
> > >
> > > What kind of error, exactly? Printed output garbage, no image printed at
> > > all (blank data), on screen error...?
> >
> > A printer (HL-5250DN) generated error page with the following text:
> > ERROR NAME; undefined, COMMND; Q, OPERAND STACK; <null>
> >
> > not particularly helpful --- the same error has appeared in different contexts
>
> Mmm, that printer supports PCL6 and BR-Script3, a PostScript
> implementantion from Brother. I'm not sure how PS compliant is that
> language...
>
> > > Have you tried with different browsers?
> >
> > Yes.  Iceweasel and Epiphany.
> >
> > > What's seen in the print preview? Are the images displayed?
> >
> > The page, including images, is displayed properly in the print preview.
> >
> > Yikes!  I have been too broad with my description of the problem.  I
> > have been able to print some web pages with images properly.
>
> Ah, that's fine.
>
> > It appears that the problem arises with pop-up windows.
> > javascript:openWindow, and UPS label windows are specific examples
> > where the printer generates an error page.
>
> I also use UPS web services and never had any problem when printing
> their labels. I use a true PS printer which makes me think there can be
> a issue with your PPD file and the UPS on-the-fly generated code.
>
> I would try to add a new printer instance (keep the one you already
> have, just add a new one) for the printer but using a PCL6 file instead
> ("pxlmono") and try to print the same page with it, just to compare both
> outputs.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I have a similar problem. For me, I can not print from a
Macbook. Under some conditions, which I cannot repeat, I have gotten
an error message saying that the printer has only a self signed
certificate. When I convert the pdf to a .ps format, which I think
cannot contain a certificate, I am able to print. I think my problem
relates to Apple/CUPS push toward World Dominance. YMMV

OTOH, it may be a bug in one or more packages that involve certificate
handling. But I am clueless about certificates. It was news to me that
CUPS cares about certificates. (or does it?, I don't know)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net