how are html pages printed?

I have a box where attempting to print an html page containing an
image results in an error.

It could be a configuration mistake or a bug, I think.  If the former,
I would like to fix it; it the latter, I would like to know what to
file against.

Some details: box is a default Wheezy installation on an AMD system.
Printer is a Brother Postscript printer added to system using CUPS
interface and ppd file from Brother.  Printer seems to have no
difficulty with .ps  or .pdf files, even those generated by a browser
though "print to file" option.  Printer also has no difficulty with
web pages containing only text.  The inability to print an html page
containing an image occurs both with Iceweasel and with the Gnome web
browser.

So my question is:  where can I learn more about process that takes an
html page displayed in a browser window to a printed page?

Thank you.