Re: how to get out of recursive " Error pkgProblemResolver::Resolve " problems

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:35:27 -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> I recently upgraded a laptop using sid and then did upgrade  and dist
> upgrade and i got into a terrible pickle
> where it could not upgrade and kept telling me certain packages were not
> able to be installed ... secondary to messages such as
>
> so if i do apt-get install -f
>
> i get the message
>
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> Correcting dependencies... failed.
>   bluez-alsa: Depends: libasound2 (> 1.0.24.1)

(...)

> E: Error pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks. this may be
> caused by hel d packages
> E: Unable to correct dependencies.
>
> Any way to resolve this short of a reinstall?

How about checking if the reports are telling you the right, that is, if
they're right? (e.g., check what's the current version of libasound2
"dpkg -l | grep -i libasound2").

> I have tried to make a  script with all those packages to the left of
> Depends an d do
> apt-get remove  <all those packages>

That sounds too dangerous :-(

> but each time I do that the list grows exponentially in length. Is there
> another apt-get
> magic incantation or else
> Is there a way to cut back to a small size and build up again?

You can also give it a whirl to "aptitude", it is very good when you have
to deal with this sort of mess.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón