Re: Networking Q concerning /etc/net

> I was actually only speaking of 192.168.1.54 on eth0... but probably
> didn't make it clear.

There's a lot of things which aren't clear to me. Let's recap the
following for clarity:

You mention there are two, wired nics in your box, only one is wired
up (I think ifconfig tells you if an interface has a layer 1 link or
not, but I don't recall  what to look for in the output). Can you
confirm if it's eth0 or eth1 that is the one which is supposed to be
physically wired up?

Your interfaces file is primed to provide an address automatically to
eth0 via DHCP when activated. There is no "auto" line, so it is not
configured to automatically activate on bootup. Do you intend this
machine to get it's IP address automatically, or for the address to be
statically assigned?

> grep -rl 'eth[01]' /etc |grep -v 'etc/mail\|~$'
> /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.ucf-dist
> /etc/samba/smb.conf
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
> /etc/network/interfaces.bak-1
> /etc/network/interfaces-autoconfigged-11.10.06_152210
> /etc/network/interfaces_hp-static_2
> /etc/network/interfaces.bak-0
> /etc/network/interfaces_hp-static
> /etc/network/run/ifstate
> /etc/network/interfaces

Alright, the major file I'd be curious to see is /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf then.

- - Jesse