Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 05:40:41 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 2/2/2012 8:11 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:43:39 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>>> Nobody uses shielded twisted pair cabling these days, not for quite
>>> some time.  There is almost zero benefit.  And if not installed
>>> (grounded) correctly the performance can be horrible, and/or links may
>>> not work at all.
>>
>> He, we have used STP even for cabling the PBX (cat5.e) ;-)
>
> Using CAT5 for things other than ethernet (phone, serial industrial
> control comms, etc) has been popular in the US for some time as well. We
> simply don't use the shielded variety.

Hard to understand because it was designed/developed by USAnians.

>> In Europe is quite common (and also the SSTP variant) but on large
>> companies (small businesses still use cat5 UTP and 10/100 devices). In
>> fact, all of our patch panels use STP cabling and also the pigtails for
>> conneting the computers to the swicth are also shielded. Yes, they are
>> hard to work with but provide a much better resistance from external
>> interferences and this was mainly the reason for us using it: gigabit
>> cables share the same pipe with power lines, cctv camera cables (rg-59)
>> and fire alarm system.
>
> When you say "pipe" do you mean conduit?

I don't know a better word in English for the Spanish term "canaleta".
Hope an image can help here... I meant this:

http://img.archiexpo.es/images_ae/photo-m2/canaletas-de-cableado-18337.jpg

It's a sort of "cabling carrier" usually made from PVC (internal usage)
or structural steel when used for external façades.

> Running network data cable and power cable in the same conduit is a
> National Electrical Code violation in the US.  Data cables must be in
> their own conduit, whether copper or finer optic, though the reasons
> are different in each case.

European contruction and structured cabling system laws work the same
way, sort of. It is required that every cabling go inside these
"pipes" (canaletas) or dedicated "tubes", but as you can see, these
"cabling carriers" provide separated sections for every type of cable.
For instance, the distance between S/F/UTP cables and current lines (AC)
(220V) has to be 20 cm and can reach up to 1 m for 5 KVA power lines.

> The fact that your electrical code allows you to run power and data
> cables in the same conduit explains your preference for shielded cable.

Conduit is the same but they're insulated.

>  And now maybe you understand why nobody in the US has used STP for a
> couple of decades.

No, I can't see why is not that popular within the US, there are many
advantadges for having shielded cables because external interferences -
that are not always under your control- still apply (e.g., wireless
connections, proximity to high power lines or electrical equipments...)
whose effects can be properly minimized with cabling shielding.

The higher prices of the cables, the needing for a careful installation
and the less flexibility to manipulate the cables are some of the reasons
that make FTP/STP solutions not be widely applied.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón