Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On 1/31/2012 11:04 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 04:18:44 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/fully-managed-switches/switch-modules/AX744.aspx
>
> Oh, I see...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet#10GBASE-CX4
>
> Never heard about this before.

> Dude, calm down... I did not realize it was a specific kind of 10 gigabit
> adapter for HPC computing requirements and more specifically a module for
> connecting switches.

The exclamation point was used to denote incredulity and frustration,
not excitement. ;)

99% of 10 GbE deployment is switch stack interconnection, i.e.
backbones.  It's used very little in HPC environments--Infiniband
dominates there.  Very few servers today have 10 GbE connections.  When
they do they're used for dedicated iSCSI SAN traffic, not user traffic.
 Statistically zero desktops/workstations today are using 10 GbE
connections.  If they do it's for a specialized dedicated application
such as satellite data stream processing, etc.

In short, you likely won't be seeing 10 GbE outside the datacenter or
internet POP/hotel any time soon.  10 GbE can transfer 1.25 GB/s in both
directions.  That's one quarter of a single layer DVD per second in each
direction, 4 seconds to transfer the whole DVD.  Very very few
individual servers are capable of such sustained throughput.  Thus, 10
GbE is used almost exclusively as an aggregation pipe, or backbone.

--
Stan