Re: Backup System

On 04/02/12 22:35, Paul Lewis wrote:
> On 04/02/12 01:57:14, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

> No one seems to have suggested DVDs or BlueRay as storage medium. Is
>
> there a reason these do not seem to be used much?

Some people like them - I only use them for cheap off-site backups (for
small sites). My reasoning being that they're slow to backup to, but
mainly because they're unreliable. The nature of the format means they
have several levels of redundancy built-in, but without special software
you can't tell how damaged they are (you can still read them with a fair
amount of damage, so you don't know how close to being unreadable they
are).
There's a Debian package you can use that allows you to test them (the
name escapes me, I haven't used it since Etch) but you need to run it
before burning the disks.

Additionally - hard drives are cheap (and so are tapes).

What disks are good for is Clonezilla type "boot from disk and restore
from image" recovery tools - but they're restricted to systems that will
fit on a single disk.

Kind regards

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/