Re: [OT] how to take care of hand

On Friday 03 February 2012 19:19:49 doug wrote:
> On 02/03/2012 12:39 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 3. Februar 2012 schrieb lina:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> are there some suggestions about how to take care of hand?
> >>
> >> for weeks, I felt the hand especially the thumb get strengh-less in
> >> typing, and kinda of stiff,
> >>
> >> I can't avoid using mouse ( even has changed to a light one) and
> >> keyboard, googled some way, a bit horrible, someone even said need do
> >> operations.
> >
> > I had some slight hand ache once some time ago.
> >
> > A while I used rsibreak to remember to take breaks.
> >
> > Not anymore. I fill myself with green superfoods and since then it seems
> > gone.
> >
> > No warranties of cause, it might or might not work for you. No medicial
> > advice, ask your doctor and all of the usual disclaimer to keep law
> > makers satisfied. You may decide for yourself on your own risk to try it.
>
> You might have carpal-tunnel syndrome.  You'd have to see a doctor,
> preferably an orthopedist.  You could also Google for carpal-tunnel
> first.  I was once advised that there are some exercises you can
> do that might help.  Very boring exercises, BTW.  I once worked
> with a typist who had to have surgery for carpal; she was out for
> a couple of months.

The carpal tunnel syndrome operation is not to be undertaken lightly, and is
in my opinion an overreaction at this stage.  It can go badly wrong and leave
you with constant severe pain for the rest of your life.  It is a tricky
operation, in spite of being a minor one, and can result in permanent damage
to the nerve.

If the pain from your carpal tunnel is so severe at night that you cannot
sleep, then you might need an operation.  If not, try other things first.
Several have been suggested.

One I have not seen so far suggested is to use a wrist rest.  Using proper
typing technique can also help considerably, but is not the whole answer.
Many professional typists get RSI.

Lisi