Re: samba woes

03/02/2012 20:10, richard wrote:
> Greetings,
> Naming devices like printers, which file name must match with winxp.
> is it the name of the printer as given in the driver list in win thing
> matching the name in smb,conf or the name in cups, or the name given in the
> cups descriptor ?
> Basically what must match to get a printer set up in winxp printing to a cups
> server on my Debian machine running a samba server ?
> Thanks

on the cups server:

lpstat -t

But if you put the "ServerName" stanza in cups configuration (and "Allow
>From @LOCAL" if the client is on a different subnet) the printer should
come up in Windows. If it doesn't, something else is likely to be wrong
with your network (DNS ? Firewall ? Port redirection to the cups server ?).

For samba it depends how your samba server is configured. What's the
name of the printer share ? Is it "browseable" ?
To find the shares name from the server machine, use:

smbclient -L localhost -U loginname

Change "loginname" with a proper user name.