Re: samba woes

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 19:10:49 +0000, richard wrote:

> Greetings,
> Naming devices like printers, which file name must match with winxp. is
> it the name of the printer as given in the driver list in win thing
> matching the name in smb,conf or the name in cups, or the name given in
> the cups descriptor ?

Uh?

> Basically what must match to get a printer set up in winxp printing to a
> cups server on my Debian machine running a samba server ? Thanks

Let's see if I have understood the issue.

- The printer is physically connected to Debian
- The printer is setup with CUPS
- The printer works in Debian (is detected, configured, running and
prints)
- You want a Windows XP client to use that printer

If that's right you need nothing. I mean, really nothing, you don't even
need samba to share the printer with CUPS, just "ipp://".

This doc is very old and some steps can be now obsolete but I found it
very useful years ago and still think it is, at least for getting the big
picture:

http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

Greetings,

--