Re: loss of sound in VLC

On 03/02/12 20:31, Jon Dowland wrote:
> My VLC (=1.1.13-1) is sadly, similarly not playing any sound now.  I
> shall dig.

Squeeze (KDE) with some squeeze backports - only using packages from
"multimedia-debian" that are *not* available in "debian". (pinned lower
than main debian sources)

On box without pulseaudio VLC has "default" selected as the audio output
module. I suspect that's actually alsa.
On other boxen with pulseaudio VLC is set to "default" - again I suspect
it actually uses alsa under pulse  - selecting alsa instead of default
doesn't change sound levels, likewise OSS.

Are you using multimedia-debian packages in place of ones from the main
debian repositories?

Kind regards

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/