Re: Custom Kernel Networking support

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:12:35 -0500, A E [Gmail] wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi, please, no html :-(

> sorry for double posting :( and sorry if this isn't the right forum but
> feel free to tell me where to go if it isn't.

(thanks for the warning. I'm removing the other list)

> The question, I was experimenting with creating a custom kernel, lean by
> removing a bunch of features/modules from it, but seemed to have knocked
> out the networking from it...in some part. I know I removed only drivers
> and/or modules that had to do with WiFi and Wimax etc, but how did it
> kill wired? Here's what I get at boot time
>
> Configuring network interfaces...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested
> address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address Failed to bring up eth0.

Just configure the network as usual. The error can come from another
different source. Also, check "dmesg|grep -i eth".

> I did a diff between the original .config and the new one and tons of
> things show up none of which seem to have anything to do with this.
>
> Can anyone pinpoin exactly what is making it networking not work?
>
> attaching the new .config

When compiling my own kernels, I use "make localmodconfig" to avoid
forgetting modules which are being used/loaded.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón