Custom Kernel Networking support

Hi all,

sorry for double posting :( and sorry if this isn't the right forum but feel free to tell me where to go if it isn't.

The question, I was experimenting with creating a custom kernel, lean by removing a bunch of features/modules from it, but seemed to have knocked out the networking from it...in some part. I know I removed only drivers and/or modules that had to do with WiFi and Wimax etc, but how did it kill wired? Here's what I get at boot time

Configuring network interfaces...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
Failed to bring up eth0.

I did a diff between the original .config and the new one and tons of things show up none of which seem to have anything to do with this.

Can anyone pinpoin exactly what is making it networking not work?

attaching the new .config

Thanks so much and apologies again
\AEG