Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On 1/21/2012 12:42 PM, T o n g wrote:

> I just tested my network speed. It is only 10MB. But I think it can do
> better. So,

How did you test, with what software?  Also:

MB = MegaBytes
mb = megabits

Assuming you mean 10MB/s then you probably have a 100FDX ethernet NIC,
switch, or both.

> - How can tell if my network cards can do better than 10MB?

If this is a 10/100FDX card and/or switch you're pretty close to topped
out.  I can achieve 11.5MB/s with FTP and an Intel PILA8470B 10/100 PCI
NIC and 100FDX switch.  My Samba performance however tops out around
8-9MB/s despite my numerous efforts at tuning over many years.

> - What's the most probable reason for the slow network speed? I.e., which
> is a good order that I check for the problem?

First tell us what the link speed is.  If it's 100FDX then you don't
have a problem.

In fact, what you should have done, and need to do, is provide as much
detail about your NIC, switch, and network topology in general, in order
for us to give you concise answers.

--
Stan