Re: My network speed is only 10MB

T o n g wrote:
> I just tested my network speed. It is only 10MB. But I think it can do
> better. So,
>
> - How can tell if my network cards can do better than 10MB?
> - What's the most probable reason for the slow network speed? I.e., which
> is a good order that I check for the problem?

Start with 'lspci' then install 'ethtool' and see what the card
reports.

  # lspci | grep -i eth
  00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

  # apt-get install ethtool

  # ethtool eth0
  Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: No
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes