Sysvinit replacement (was: (Solved) Re: Wheezy: "module unix not found in modules.dep")

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:54:52 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:19:49 +0000, Brian wrote:

(...)

>>> A little off the topic of your mail (and rhetorical) I wonder what
>>> your reaction will be when testing gets the new sysvinit?
>>
>> What "new sysvinit"? You mean "systemd"? :-?
>>
>> I've only read about problems and headaches coming from users and
>> admins for systemd which is currently the default init system for
>> another distributions so let's see how Debian handles this. My first
>> impression is that distributions made the transtition too soon... these
>> things need time to:
>>
>> a) Get users and admins accustomed to the new system
>>
>> b) Solving the highest number of problems/bugs before it reaches the
>> streets
>>
>> c) Write down detailed documentation for users migrating from sysvinit
>> and newcomers
>>

> That package (systemd) is in Sid. What determines that it must be used?
> Deactivation of sysv-rc?

Mmm, AFAIK sysvinit and systemd can "coexist", but I don't know how to
give preference to one of them. Maybe by some sort of variable in "/etc/
default/*"? :-?

Let me read the docs... okay, it is documented at "/usr/share/doc/systemd/
README.Debian"

***
systemd for Debian
==================

systemd can be installed alongside sysvinit and will not change the
behaviour of the system out of the box.  This is intentional.  To test
systemd, add:

init=/bin/systemd

to the kernel command line and then rebooting, or install the
systemd-sysv package.
***

Greetings,

--