Re: How to use ALSA from the kernel?

On 06/07/11 at 03:41am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 21:18 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:

> > > You have sniped text ;).
> >
> > Ayuh.
> >
> > > I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
> > > re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
> > > or am I mistaken?
> >
> > You are mistaken. At least try it and see. Did sound work *before* you started ripping the guts out of your ALSA install?
> > You should at least have libasound2, alsa-base and alsa-utils (useful for not having to unmute your speakers after every reboot)
> >
> > > My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
> > > know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.
> >
> > Try aplay -l and let us see what you have. I don't know what you mean by 'enable', given that ALSA is a library with a set of kernel modules. You load the module, and programs linked against the library should be able to output or configure sound.
> >
> > > I can't use 1.0.23, see
> > > http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm
> >
> > I see that the driver for hdspm is included in the 2.6.39 kernel tree.
> >
> > > I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.
> >
> > How did they fail? Why did you try to use it? Why do you think 1.0.23 won't work for you?
>
> The HDSPe AIO card is ONLY supported by 1.0.24, it can't work without
> 1.0.24!

I thought since you had the kernel which has your driver (2.6.39) you could work with 1.0.23. The wiki you list does not specify that the driver will only work with version 1.0.24 of the library and tools. That said, here are two options:

Try to make it work with 1.0.23. Reinstall the packages you removed, reload your kernel and ls /dev/snd/*, check dmesg, possibly modprobe your driver if needed (it's probably snd-hdspm). Then try aplay -l and see if you get anything.

AND/OR

Install alsa 1.0.24 from source. Whether you choose to make a debian package out of it is your prerogative, but if not you may then need various dummy-packages to satisfy dependencies, and upgrading will be somewhat more complicated.

--
Liam