Re: How to use ALSA from the kernel?

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:38 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/07/11 at 01:05am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > after removing all ALSA packages, excepted of libasound2, ALSA is
> > broken. I kept libasound2, because it's a dependency for audio apps. If
> > needed I could replace it by a dummy package.
> >
> What packages did you remove? They were probably necessary for ALSA to function. Libasound2 for example is required for any program which tries to use ALSA. It *is* the alsa library.

You have sniped text ;).

I removed all ALSA 1.0.23 packages, excepted of libasound. Just
re-installing the packages won't enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA
or am I mistaken?

My problem isn't that ALSA from the packages is broken, but that I don't
know how to enable the usage of the kernel's ALSA.

I can't use 1.0.23, see
http://wiki.linuxproaudio.org/index.php/Driver:hdspm

I build packages for 1.0.24, but those failed, hence I removed them too.

I build kernel 2.6.39.1 and this kernel comes with ALSA 1.0.24, resp.
HDSPe AIO support.

Cheers!

Ralf