Ownership of external usb hard drive

I have an external usb hard drive that I use solely for storing
backups which are done every three hours of my home folder. It is
'owned' by root, but I want to have the user boztu to have ownership
of it so that boztu can write to it from their cron backup program,
but how do I do it please?

At the moment root writes to it at midnight and creates a new dated
folder, because only root has write access to it. Then every three
hours boztu writes to it and backs up the changes in the home folder,
but I want user boztu to do =all= of it including creating the new
dated folder.

Does this make sense?

Sharon.
--